3.28.2008

Interesting

Today, I read something about poetry being neglected in elementary schools.  As I thought about my student teaching experience, as well as my literacy classes in college, I realized that poetry was not a priority.  As I read, I was motivated to begin looking for quality poetry to utilize in my future classroom.  

One way the article mentioned to use poetry is for "brain breaks."  When you're about to transition into a new subject or just need a few minutes for the kids to clear their minds, 3 minute poetry breaks would be a great idea.  Kids love to hear a poem or two from one of Shel Silverstein's collections.  You could look beforehand for a poem that goes with the content you will be teaching or simply select one you believe your students will enjoy.  

No comments: